Skip to main content

Evel Knievel's Salvation Testimony Spurs Spontaneous Baptisms at Crystal Cathedral—500 to 800 Commitments & Rededications on Palm Sunday

"I just got on my knees and prayed that God would put His arms around me and never, ever, ever let me go."

Brad A. Greenberg/AH (April 19th, 2007)

One man's life touches so many others. We've heard that message conveyed countless times, from the movie, It's a Wonderful Life, to messages from the pulpit. And yet it's still a wonder when you see God change one heart which, in turn, affects hundreds of others.

That probably wasn't even a passing thought this past March, however, when the Lord suddenly broke into the life of famous motorcycle daredevil, Robert "Evel" Knievel. He knew that there were Believers who were actively praying for his salvation—he cites his daughter, ex-wife and their churches, along with the "hundreds" of letters Knievel had received urging him to trust God—but for 68 years, he had resisted calling on Jesus Christ as Savior.

According to an article in Christianity Today, (CT) sometime during Daytona Bike Week last month, Knievel's resistance finally gave way to belief. "I don't know what in the world happened. I don't know if it was the power of the prayer or God himself, but...the power of God in Jesus just grabbed me. All of a sudden, I just believed in Jesus Christ. I did, I believed in him! ...I rose up in bed and, I was by myself, and I said, 'Devil, you...get away from me. I cast you out of my life.' I just got on my knees and prayed that God would put His arms around me and never, ever, ever let me go." (Photo: Rev. Robert H. Schuller with Knievel on Palm Sunday—Courtesy of Crystal Cathedral)

One thing apparently led to another, and after a visit by Rev. Robert Schuller, who baptized Knievel, he eventually found himself giving his testimony at the Crystal Cathedral on Palm Sunday.

According to the CT report, Rev. Schuller (who took over last year for his retired father) could see from the people's reactions to Knievel's testimony that this would be no ordinary service. Deviating from the normal script, and transition into the offering, Schuller went up front and said, "I believe there is somebody who needs to be baptized here. Maybe up on that balcony or by that door or by that wall. So come forward." (Photo: Knievel is baptized—courtesy of Crystal Cathedral)

Then Schuller, with the help of four other pastors and a "candy dish" of water, walked from person to person who had moved to the front, crying while baptizing them and going on to the next one. The spontaneous response went on for 30 minutes, and then continued in the next service. In all, between 500 to 800 people were estimated to have made first time, or recommitments to the Lord.

After undergoing some difficult times of late, the church had reportedly been praying for the congregation and the community, though not necessarily for revival. Schuller candidly adds, "Our congregation and church keeps saying, 'Okay, where do we go from here?' I'm not exactly sure. But I think the Holy Spirit will assist me in the doing the right thing."

The Palm Sunday service, featuring Evel Knievel's testimony and the mass baptisms, will be re-aired this week, on April 22nd.

To read the full CT article, follow the link below.

Source: Christianity Today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret vs The Bible

Or should I put the, The Bible versus The Secret. Of late a couple of my friends have asked me a lot about 'The Secret' which is supposed to be revolutionizing people's lives. I got a chance to watch the DVD on TS but somehow I was not convinced. Don't get me wrong, a lot of what they teach is great and people should be applying it. But I do have a couple of issues with it. One thing that really bothered me is the way they sort of overlooked God or glossed over him. They even do quote scripture and all but still, it wasn't convincing. They have Biblical principals and even teach that many preachers e.g Kenneth Copeland, Creflo Dollar, Joel Osteen and so on teach principles based on the secret. Well, I think they are just trying to justify their teaching. I for one listen to all these preachers regularly. I am subscribed to their podcasts, buy their books and CDs and DVDs. Never once did I hear them use the secret as their reference material. They use the Bible - God...

Comprehensive Analysis of Private Pension Scheme Providers in Kenya (2024-2025)

  This report provides a detailed overview and comparative analysis of leading private pension scheme providers in Kenya, focusing on their costs, value propositions, guaranteed minimum interest rates, and overall performance. The analysis aims to inform individuals seeking to invest approximately KES 10,000 per month for their retirement planning. Overview of Key Providers The Kenyan private pension landscape features several prominent providers, each offering distinct advantages. Based on recent performance and product offerings for 2024-2025, the following schemes are notable: Provider 2024 Declared Return Guaranteed Minimum Rate Management/Admin Costs Key Value Proposition Zimele 15.0% Market-linked / Guaranteed Fund 2.5% p.a. management fee; No entry/exit fees . Offers a low entry barrier (KES 100), high flexibility in contributions, and has consistently delivered competitive returns . Sanlam Kenya 15.0% 5.0% (typically) Competitive (approximately 2% p.a.) Demonstrated strong ...

Huawei IDEOS U8150 Review

I am a self-confessed Nokia die-hard. I have stuck with them even though the performance of some of their later models of phones, especially the touchscreen ones has been less than stellar. Nokia make great hardware. I am yet to find a manufacturer that makes sturdy long lasting phones Like Nokia does. However, their software seems to leave a lot to be desired. Saying that, I still do believe that the Nokia E71 is one of the best smartphones they may. I still have mine to date and it has served me faithfully. A friend who couldn’t understand my almost fanatical obsession with Nokia phones dared me to try another smartphone operating system. Try the iPhone or an Android phone and then tell me if you will go back to Nokia. The opportunity came when Safaricom introduced the uber-cheap Huawei IDEOS U8150 in Kenya. Retailing at 8,500 Kenya Shillings with 600MB free data and 1,000 Shillings free airtime, it was a bargain to say the least. The IDEOS had Android 2.2 (Froyo) installed. It com...