Skip to main content

Missionaries in Kenya relate stories of hope despite ongoing tension

Michael Ireland (February 1, 2008)

"I have been clinging to the verse you gave me. I shared it with a Kenyan friend who was on the verge of suicide because of the chaos. It literally saved his life, giving him hope to go on."

SIM Kenya(Kenya)—More than 30 days after the presidential elections in Kenya, political tension remains high. As a result of the violence, 650 people have been killed, and over 250,000 have been displaced.

The latest edition of Missions Catalyst reports that all of the SIM (Serving in Mission) missionaries in Kenya are safe, and that God is using them to encourage their Kenyan brothers and sisters. One missionary, serving on the SIM Sudan team based in Nairobi, wrote, "We grieve for friends like Lydia, who fled for her life from Eldoret. She and her husband have lost everything. We wept together as she shared their trauma."

"I wrote Psalm 27:13 on a card for her, and the other day Lydia told me, 'I have been clinging to the verse you gave me. I shared it with a Kenyan friend who was on the verge of suicide because of the chaos. It literally saved his life, giving him hope to go on.'"

Another missionary, who serves with his wife in Eldoret, reported, "During the Sunday service, they had representatives of several tribes come up for prayers. The sermon was on forgiveness in the midst of such immense pain. Afterwards, we met with the members of our Bible study group... We sang and prayed together. There is so much emotional healing that needs to take place."

Yet another missionary in the area writes in her blog about the opportunity to prepare a lunch for volunteers working at a refugee camp in Nairobi. "It was really a joy to be able to serve the people who have donated their time to serve the refugees."

SIM Kenya (www.simkenya.org) has set up the Kenya Emergency Relief Fund for those who would like to give financially to the relief efforts. These funds will be directed through a local church or ministry that has a good working relationship with SIM in Kenya and will assist with food, water, and medical needs.

Source: ASSIST News Service

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huawei IDEOS U8150 Review

I am a self-confessed Nokia die-hard. I have stuck with them even though the performance of some of their later models of phones, especially the touchscreen ones has been less than stellar. Nokia make great hardware. I am yet to find a manufacturer that makes sturdy long lasting phones Like Nokia does. However, their software seems to leave a lot to be desired. Saying that, I still do believe that the Nokia E71 is one of the best smartphones they may. I still have mine to date and it has served me faithfully. A friend who couldn’t understand my almost fanatical obsession with Nokia phones dared me to try another smartphone operating system. Try the iPhone or an Android phone and then tell me if you will go back to Nokia. The opportunity came when Safaricom introduced the uber-cheap Huawei IDEOS U8150 in Kenya. Retailing at 8,500 Kenya Shillings with 600MB free data and 1,000 Shillings free airtime, it was a bargain to say the least. The IDEOS had Android 2.2 (Froyo) installed. It com...

The Secret vs The Bible

Or should I put the, The Bible versus The Secret. Of late a couple of my friends have asked me a lot about 'The Secret' which is supposed to be revolutionizing people's lives. I got a chance to watch the DVD on TS but somehow I was not convinced. Don't get me wrong, a lot of what they teach is great and people should be applying it. But I do have a couple of issues with it. One thing that really bothered me is the way they sort of overlooked God or glossed over him. They even do quote scripture and all but still, it wasn't convincing. They have Biblical principals and even teach that many preachers e.g Kenneth Copeland, Creflo Dollar, Joel Osteen and so on teach principles based on the secret. Well, I think they are just trying to justify their teaching. I for one listen to all these preachers regularly. I am subscribed to their podcasts, buy their books and CDs and DVDs. Never once did I hear them use the secret as their reference material. They use the Bible - God...

Comprehensive Analysis of Private Pension Scheme Providers in Kenya (2024-2025)

  This report provides a detailed overview and comparative analysis of leading private pension scheme providers in Kenya, focusing on their costs, value propositions, guaranteed minimum interest rates, and overall performance. The analysis aims to inform individuals seeking to invest approximately KES 10,000 per month for their retirement planning. Overview of Key Providers The Kenyan private pension landscape features several prominent providers, each offering distinct advantages. Based on recent performance and product offerings for 2024-2025, the following schemes are notable: Provider 2024 Declared Return Guaranteed Minimum Rate Management/Admin Costs Key Value Proposition Zimele 15.0% Market-linked / Guaranteed Fund 2.5% p.a. management fee; No entry/exit fees . Offers a low entry barrier (KES 100), high flexibility in contributions, and has consistently delivered competitive returns . Sanlam Kenya 15.0% 5.0% (typically) Competitive (approximately 2% p.a.) Demonstrated strong ...