Skip to main content

The Secret vs The Bible

Or should I put the, The Bible versus The Secret.

Of late a couple of my friends have asked me a lot about 'The Secret' which is supposed to be revolutionizing people's lives. I got a chance to watch the DVD on TS but somehow I was not convinced. Don't get me wrong, a lot of what they teach is great and people should be applying it. But I do have a couple of issues with it.

One thing that really bothered me is the way they sort of overlooked God or glossed over him. They even do quote scripture and all but still, it wasn't convincing. They have Biblical principals and even teach that many preachers e.g Kenneth Copeland, Creflo Dollar, Joel Osteen and so on teach principles based on the secret. Well, I think they are just trying to justify their teaching. I for one listen to all these preachers regularly. I am subscribed to their podcasts, buy their books and CDs and DVDs. Never once did I hear them use the secret as their reference material. They use the Bible - God's Word as their reference. By trying to say that they teach principles from the secret is to really insult them, because I consider the Word of God to be so far above what any man can write (the secret).

My point is this. The Secret's teaching does away with the need for God. It does away with sin, a Holy God and the need for a Saviour. That in my opinion is man trying to make himself god. And God tells us that we should have no other gods before Him, and that includes us.

I believe in God and I make no bones about it. I believe in the need for a Saviour, that we are a people with a sin-nature and need the blood of God's Holy Son to wash away our sin and restore our relationship with a loving, caring but Holy God. When teaching appears that seems to support what the Bible teaches but refutes that Jesus is Lord or that there is a Holy God, I am very suspect about it.

I have also told my friends about that - I feel that way. There needs to be God. What if not everyone believes in my God. Well, I still preach Him any how and live for Him. Oh, and might I add one more thing about what the secret lacks - it lacks covenant. That is what Jesus came to do for us - to enable us who were without God and without hope in this world, have a covenant with God. If you don't know the implications of a covenant - it simply means that I exchange my weaknesses for His strengths - that is what the cross is for - exchange.

Wan't to read more on this issue, please go here. A very nice blog with scriptural reference.

So, in conclusion, the teachings in the secret are true but they are not complete because they eliminate God. Just quoting scriptural references doesn't make the cut for me - even the devil quoted scripture when tempting Jesus.

Blessings,
Andrew

Comments

Unknown said…
Yes, the Bible is to be our final authority. One thing, though. You say: ...the teachings in the secret are true but they are not complete because they eliminate God. Almosts sounds like a grudging endorsement, IMHO. Sorry for sounding harsh :)
Unknown said…
Maybe I shouldn't have bothered... Anyways, I learnt of an indepth review of the book by a certain Don Whitney.
Sad that Christians aren't well grounded enough in the Word to know when something like this contradicts what God has already revealed.

Popular posts from this blog

Huawei IDEOS U8150 Review

I am a self-confessed Nokia die-hard. I have stuck with them even though the performance of some of their later models of phones, especially the touchscreen ones has been less than stellar. Nokia make great hardware. I am yet to find a manufacturer that makes sturdy long lasting phones Like Nokia does. However, their software seems to leave a lot to be desired. Saying that, I still do believe that the Nokia E71 is one of the best smartphones they may. I still have mine to date and it has served me faithfully. A friend who couldn’t understand my almost fanatical obsession with Nokia phones dared me to try another smartphone operating system. Try the iPhone or an Android phone and then tell me if you will go back to Nokia. The opportunity came when Safaricom introduced the uber-cheap Huawei IDEOS U8150 in Kenya. Retailing at 8,500 Kenya Shillings with 600MB free data and 1,000 Shillings free airtime, it was a bargain to say the least. The IDEOS had Android 2.2 (Froyo) installed. It com...

Comprehensive Analysis of Private Pension Scheme Providers in Kenya (2024-2025)

  This report provides a detailed overview and comparative analysis of leading private pension scheme providers in Kenya, focusing on their costs, value propositions, guaranteed minimum interest rates, and overall performance. The analysis aims to inform individuals seeking to invest approximately KES 10,000 per month for their retirement planning. Overview of Key Providers The Kenyan private pension landscape features several prominent providers, each offering distinct advantages. Based on recent performance and product offerings for 2024-2025, the following schemes are notable: Provider 2024 Declared Return Guaranteed Minimum Rate Management/Admin Costs Key Value Proposition Zimele 15.0% Market-linked / Guaranteed Fund 2.5% p.a. management fee; No entry/exit fees . Offers a low entry barrier (KES 100), high flexibility in contributions, and has consistently delivered competitive returns . Sanlam Kenya 15.0% 5.0% (typically) Competitive (approximately 2% p.a.) Demonstrated strong ...