Monday, March 14, 2011

Prepaid Mobile Data Tariffs in Kenya


Hi,
I decided to do a simple comparison of data prices from the 4 mobile operators. I just took the data they had posted on their respective websites and put it in a table for comparison.

From the data, some of which was a bit confusing to interpret, I found that the only common data bundle is the 1GB or 1000MB bundle. I decided to use the 1GB as 1000MB so as to standardize the values. So from the analysis, Safaricom data is the most expensive, and yu data is the cheapest. However it must be noted that yu's information is easily misunderstood. The one point to note is that only Safaricom has a 3G network and all the other 3 - yu, Orange and Airtel are on EDGE.

On a side note, interestingly, in some places I find that Orange and yu only have plain old GPRS within Nairobi environs. With Airtel and Safaricom, I haven't encountered that yet. Their signals have always been good enough to get at least EDGE coverage.

Data is below:

Price Comparisons


No comments: